Monday, January 21, 2008

The Divine Secret of the Ya-Ya Synchro club: Cold hands; Warm hearts!!

In a few days from now I will have to attend a wedding. Though I hate all sorts of weddings and all that happen in such occasions, this one is rather special. It’s the wedding of one of my childhood friends. I knew her since I was 11 years old; so it makes us friends for over a decade now. We met when we were in the synchronized swimming team…..actually its not the friend specifically that want to talk about here, but it’s the entire atmosphere that accompanied us as little “synchro girls” as we used to call ourselves; spending endless hours doing nothing but training, and our only entertainment was us joking around with each other to make the hours pass by.

Thinking back on the synchro days gives me the chill. I still remember when we used to swim for hours in the winter in the cold water. Funny how they insisted to keep the water cold, even in the winter; actually, especially in the WINTER!!! We used to stand at the ends of the pool singing and sometimes begging our coach “Coach, please have mercy, its freezing cold” (Coach, allah ye7’aleeky 2el donya bard; 2el donya bard). In addition to the normal training days, there were the competitions where we had to stay in the water for 5 minutes and out in the air for the next five, and still FUNNY that most competitions were also in the winter!! And the water still not heated, but as cold as an ice berg!!

Though it all sounds like torture, the long training hours, the fierce exercise, and the freezing water, and the rain sometimes; I just can not help but having a huge smile on my face while reminiscing these days. See, for me it’s not about the cold, the wetness, the muscle strains, nor the toughness of our coaches and judges. For me it’s all about the cheers, the laughs, the support, and the bond that we achieved in both trainings and competitions. We were like inseparable sisters, which spent each and every moment of the day together; confiding to one another, competing with grace, and taking care of each other.

Ironic isn’t it? That in such a chilling, cold, and freezing environment was born a relationship that is so warm and genuine that it lasted till this very day. I guess that is the divine secret of the Ya-Ya sisterhood synchro club; in the coldest surroundings came the warmest of hearts!!

No comments: